By Diane Bolger
An authoritative consultant on gender prehistory for researchers, teachers and scholars in anthropology, archaeology, and gender studies
- Provides the main updated, accomplished assurance of gender archaeology, with an unique specialise in prehistory
- Offers severe overviews of advancements within the archaeology of gender during the last 30 years, in addition to exams of present developments and clients for destiny research
- Focuses on fresh 3rd Wave methods to the learn of gender in early human societies, demanding heterosexist biases, and investigating the interfaces among gender and prestige, age, cognition, social reminiscence, performativity, the physique, and sexuality
- Features quite a few neighborhood and thematic issues authored through verified experts within the field, with incisive assurance of gender study in prehistoric and protohistoric cultures of Africa, Asia, Europe, the Americas and the Pacific
Read or Download A Companion to Gender Prehistory PDF
Best archaeology books
This quantity represents a set of contributions offered through the 3rd Annual collage of Chicago Oriental Institute Seminar, faith and gear: Divine Kingship within the historical global and past, held on the Oriental Institute, February 23-24, 2007. the aim of this convention used to be to check extra heavily options of kingship in quite a few areas of the area and in several time classes.
Who have been the Pilgrims? faraway from the somberly clad, stern, and righteous figures young children know about in class, the various early settlers of Plymouth really wearing shiny shades, drank seriously, and infrequently acquired into difficulty. a shocking new examine America's founding fathers and moms, the days in their Lives offers a pragmatic, genuine account of the Plymouth colony according to modern archaeology, cultural learn, and dwelling heritage.
How did our present society come into being and the way is it just like in addition to assorted from its predecessors? those key questions have transfixed archaeologists, anthropologists and historians for many years and strike on the very middle of highbrow debate throughout a variety of disciplines. but scant realization has been given to the most important thinkers and theoretical traditions that experience formed those debates and the conclusions to which they've got given upward thrust.
Post-Critical Museology considers what the position of the general public and the adventure of audiences capacity to the typical paintings of the artwork museum. It does this from the views of the paintings museum itself in addition to from the viewers it seeks. throughout the research of fabric amassed from an immense collaborative learn undertaking performed at Tate Britain in London the ebook develops a conceptual reconfiguration of the connection among paintings, tradition and society within which questions about the artwork museum’s courting to worldwide migration and the recent media ecologies are tested.
- The Native Americans of the Texas Edwards Plateau, 1582-1799 (Texas Archaeology and Ethnohistory Series)
- Prehistoric Archaeology along the Zagros Flanks, Volume 105 (Oriental Institute Publications)
- Foragers, farmers, and fossil fuels : how human values evolve
- The Archaeology of Israelite Society in Iron Age II
- Stone Tools and Fossil Bones Debates in the Archaeology of Human Origins
- Physical Techniques in the Study of Art, Archaeology and Cultural Heritage, Vol. 1
Additional resources for A Companion to Gender Prehistory
Concerns with women’s visibility in the past and equity in the modern workplace are still of considerable importance to all feminist and gender archaeologists; however, issues of gay and lesbian rights and challenges to heterosexist orthodoxy have emerged as major issues in gender research (Voss 2006:389–390). , Dowson 2000; Voss 2000, 2008; Geller 2009; Alberti this volume). , Gilchrist 1999, 2004; Meskell 2001; Díaz-Andreu et al. , Brumfiel 1992; Gilchrist 1999, 2004, 2009; Meskell 2001; Pyburn 2004; Joyce 2008; Bolger 2008; Sørensen this volume).
Edwards and Pope this volume) to avoid a consideration of settlement evidence entirely. , Conkey and Spector 1984; Gero and Conkey 1991) cannot be dismissed as a “done deal,” even by those primarily engaged in Third Wave approaches. A second important area of common interest evident in many chapters of the present volume is their adoption of a “bottom up” rather than a “top down” approach that treats evidence for gender constructs contextually, on a case-by-case basis. This has resulted in more nuanced interpretations of gender that highlight regional and temporal differences in gender roles and relations, and that challenge unilineal models linking increased levels of socio-economic complexity to a decline in women’s status.
London: Plenum. Pyburn, K. , 2004 Ungendering Civilization. London and New York: Routledge. Quinn, Naomi, 1977 Anthropological Studies of Women’s Status. Annual Review of Anthropology 6:181–225. , 1975 Toward an Anthropology of Women. New York: Monthly Review. Renfrew, Colin, 1984 Approaches to Social Archaeology. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press. Renfrew, Colin, and Paul Bahn, 2000 Archaeology: Theories, Methods and Practice. 3rd edition. London: Thames & Hudson. Roberts, Catherine, 1993 A Critical Approach to Gender as a Category of Analysis in Archaeology.